West Hunsbury Parish Council
THE PARISH COUNCIL HAS A VACANCY
Would you like to make a real positive impact to the lives of all West Hunsbury residents?
Do you have a small amount of time and effort to spare to make a very valuable contribution to our Community? If so please consider becoming a West Hunsbury Parish Councillor and help raise the profile of our Community, engage with our residents and shape the future in a way we all want to enjoy in the years to come.
The Parish Council has a vacancy so please consider applying - contact Alison Benson - Clerk to the Council or telephone her on 07729 608062 for more information.
What does a West Hunsbury Parish Councillor do?
- Decision making – through meetings and working parties Councillors decide which activities to support within the community, where money should be spent, what services should be delivered and what policies should be implemented.
- Monitoring - Councillors make sure that their decisions lead to efficient and effective services by reviewing how well things are working.
- Getting involved locally – by representing residents, Councillors have responsibilities and duties which often depend on what the Councillor wants to achieve and how much time they have available, and may include: Attending meetings of local organisations or taking up issues on behalf of members of the public.
Who can become a Parish Councillor?
Virtually anybody. The main criteria are:
- A British Citizen or a Citizen of the Commonwealth or European Union.
- Over 21 and on the electoral register.
- A resident of West Hunsbury.
- Able to attend one monthly evening meeting (third Thursday monthly 7:30pm - 9:30pm).
- Interested in local issues and keen to make a positive contribution.
- Keen to maintain and improve the local environment and the quality of the lives of all residents.
- Willing to represent the views of all residents not just your own personal view.
- Committed to developing your role within the community.
What benefits would the role have for me?
- Meet new people and learn a great deal.
- You could lead a project and see it completed which can be a very satisfying experience.
- Gain confidence and raise your profile.
- Councillors support each other and are supported by the Clerk to the Council who advises the Council on legal procedures and keeps the finances/records in order whilst taking instructions from Council and acting upon them.
- Local training courses are available to Councillors to help them in their roles.
The Parish Council
The Parish Council is the first tier of local government and exists to represent the interests of the parish. It is the job of the Parish Council to represent the interests of the whole community. Parish Councillors have a responsibility to be well informed about diverse local views.
There are eight seats on West Hunsbury Parish Council and Councillors are elected every four years (next election May 2019). The position is purely voluntary and attracts no payment.
West Hunsbury Parish Council has been set up to serve the people and community of West Hunsbury. If you have any questions that you would like answered, views that you would like to share with the council or spot a problem that needs reporting in the Parish please contact the Clerk in the first instance.
Full Council meetings are held at Parsons Meade Community Room, West Hunsbury, twelve times a year on the third Thursday of every month. Members of the public are welcome to attend and listen to discussions. Up to 15 minutes is set aside within the meeting for "public participation" when members of the audience can speak for up to 3 minutes on items on the agenda at the discretion of the Chairman.
The Parish Council deals with a wide variety of issues and is well represented on County and Borough matters by the respective Councillors who regularly attend our Parish Council meetings.
For more information about where and when our next meeting is held please see the "Meetings" page. The Agenda is published at least 3 working days before the next meeting.
The Parish Council employs a Parish Clerk / Responsible Financial Officer (Mrs Alison Benson) who implements decisions made by the council and provides independent, objective and professional advice, information and administrative support to the council. Please note the Clerk is the main contact for the Parish Council.
Contact Details for Alison Benson
Phone: 07729 608062 Email: email@example.com
Office Address: 3 Quinton Green Cottages, Quinton, Northampton, NN7 1EF
There are currently 8 councillors serving on the West Hunsbury Parish Council. The latest contact details for each Councillor can be found on the "Councillors" page.
We also welcome messages, comments and tweets through our social media accounts.